Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Iím off work today feeling rough as old houses, got on Zwift last night for two minutes before realising it wasnít a good idea.

This is the third time Iíve been ill now this winter, guessing the seriously disturbed sleep and breaking myself a few times on Zwift havenít helped.

Some studies served to suggest light exercise is good for the immune system, but heavy efforts are not so.

Do you guys take any supplements, be them for recovery or staving off illness? Being ill so much is doing mine and my employerís head in.

Would love to reduce recovery time from big efforts and/or be less ill now Iím a dad.
    As I've mentioned before, I worry a little about Zwift, owing to the temptation of going at it hammer and tongs all the time, plus you are commuting by cycling. Overtraining could give rise to illness. I would aim for at least a days rest between races/hard sessions, by which I mean a proper recovery pace. Do you monitor peak and resting HR?

That said, I've definitely found that the more CV exercise I do, the less I get colds and bugs. Fitness does increase immunity.

Disturbed sleep will take its toll, sadly... your body is fighting on three fronts- one, dealing with less sleep; two, recovering from tough sessions; three, recovering from previous illness. The unremitting dark, cold and gloom can have an effect too. Things will improve when nipper sleeps more consistently.

But then they start at nursery, and become a hotbed of disease!

Supplements... my mum swears by echinacea during the winter months.

For recovery between sessions... think about what your body needs to rebuild, and training adaptations. So, replacing glucose, protein for muscle and tissue building, iron for increased blood volume.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Don't take any supplements - try to eat a healthy balanced diet.

However when in the office I am very very careful not to put my hands anywhere near my face unless I've just washed them (classic one is rubbing your eyes, great way to get a cold if your hands have the cold virus on them - which you could well have from the banister on the stairs you've just walked up, the button on the coffee machine you just pressed, the door handle you just opened etc etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    However when in the office I am very very careful not to put my hands anywhere near my face unless I've just washed them (classic one is rubbing your eyes, great way to get a cold if your hands have the cold virus on them - which you could well have from the banister on the stairs you've just walked up, the button on the coffee machine you just pressed, the door handle you just opened etc etc).
    If only I had all those worries......instead of the bloke in the shower opposite me sticking his finger up his arse-crack,pulling out a bit of peanut then sticking it under my nose whilst informing me "that must be some of the Snickers from yesterday stuck to the hairs on my arse"
    Catching a cold at work pales into insignificance...

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Cheers, PRS, I am trying to have at least two days completely off the bike every week. Even sometimes driving to work one day just to give me a rest day that isnt a weekend (when in theory I’m allowed longer on Zwift).

Must admit I don’t regularly measure my HR ranges.

Definitely struggle this time of year, truly despise it. Run at about 80% of my normal ebullient self.

Funny you should mention the nursery, we signed him up yesterday. I’m aware of what we’re in for sadly!

I wonder how much recovery harm on the weekends my beers are doing. Some studies suggest up to 70% less muscle protein synthesis. I really think my diet is varied, I’m lucky that my other half is INSANELY adept in the kitchen.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Carla, I have started to do all my own washing up at work. And keeping my own set of cutlery etc. I get the piss taken out of me for my attempts at limiting my exposure even!

As stated, we are packed like sardines these days and we just got a ‘find me’ printer. We lost our team printers and everyone uses one big one now, so that must be an utter hot bed. Some of the habits of my colleagues would make a baboon blush. Bloody mine field I tells ya!

Touching my face, or not so as the case would be. I’m terrible for it! Trying to wash my hands before eating anything, but I touch my face loads unfortunately.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Use a small hand gell dispensor at your waist. Like the ones the ambo crews use.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=....0.4n5iG3rGxjg
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

First cold of the winter for me. Soar throat Tuesday which has now gone, and left me with a left nostril that won’t stop running as well as my left eye.
    What a great week end coming up

And a well div voice.

"If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Carla, I have started to do all my own washing up at work. And keeping my own set of cutlery etc. I get the piss taken out of me for my attempts at limiting my exposure even!

As stated, we are packed like sardines these days and we just got a ‘find me’ printer. We lost our team printers and everyone uses one big one now, so that must be an utter hot bed. Some of the habits of my colleagues would make a baboon blush. Bloody mine field I tells ya!

Touching my face, or not so as the case would be. I’m terrible for it! Trying to wash my hands before eating anything, but I touch my face loads unfortunately.
    I'm beginning to wonder if this is the problem.ie too cautious so weakening the immune system over a period of time?Not just you and Carla etc but in general?

I work in a Steel Works/Mill.I would wager that your office toilets are 100% cleaner than our snap-cabin.The cleaner uses the same mop/bucket to mop the toilet floor next door as she does our cabin!We do wash our hands before eating but we're sat in filthy overalls,on filthy chairs so despite washing we're never really clean until we shower at the end of the shift....in 30 year old showers!Cups and cutlery are never really washed just rinsed.My mate never washes or rinses his cup.It's stained dark brown from Tea and that's how he likes it.I often go to my bag between breaks and wander around the shop floor with an apple/orange/banana and never give it a second thought.I'm constantly pushing my specs back up my nose with dirty gloves on too. Maybe we're just more immune because of this?
    I suspect most Industry snap-cabins are the same as ours(certainly the many I've worked in are/were) so Worlds away form an Office environment.
    I wonder if any studies have been carried out