Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Dont these powdered drinks work quicker when diluted with water, rather than milk?

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if this is the problem.ie too cautious so weakening the immune system over a period of time?Not just you and Carla etc but in general?

I work in a Steel Works/Mill.I would wager that your office toilets are 100% cleaner than our snap-cabin.The cleaner uses the same mop/bucket to mop the toilet floor next door as she does our cabin!We do wash our hands before eating but we're sat in filthy overalls,on filthy chairs so despite washing we're never really clean until we shower at the end of the shift....in 30 year old showers!Cups and cutlery are never really washed just rinsed.My mate never washes or rinses his cup.It's stained dark brown from Tea and that's how he likes it.I often go to my bag between breaks and wander around the shop floor with an apple/orange/banana and never give it a second thought.I'm constantly pushing my specs back up my nose with dirty gloves on too. Maybe we're just more immune because of this?
    I suspect most Industry snap-cabins are the same as ours(certainly the many I've worked in are/were) so Worlds away form an Office environment.
    I wonder if any studies have been carried out
    Like everything it's a balance. You're not eating off the floor so it's doesn't really matter what she cleans the floor with! Filthy overalls - so what. Brown tea cups - its just tea. And noone else is using his mug so it's his own germs. I've worked in a similar environment - it was filthy and I recall rarely washing my hands - and I also recall a couple of vomiting bugs while working there!

And anti bacterial gels etc - no, just no - use plain old soap and water. Anti-bac just creates bigger problems.

I don't think I'll ever look at a peanut in the same way though - wish I hadn't read that!

Hey don't shoot the messenger!
    I'm just stating what the magazine testers said.It was a lengthy article but the conclusion was basically this.
    You're as well off with any Milkshake as you are with recovery drinks.Not my findings.

It's always amused me though that we seem to believe what Manufacturers claim over what independent tests claim.Who has a vested interest?That's right those who make the product

There was a thread on BR recently where a 70 year old needed advice on how to open the 13(???!!!) gels he took out when running a marathon.He basically couldn't tear them with his hands or teeth so took a small pair of scissors with him when running!
    When it was pointed out that 13 was a high number of gels and he'd be better off fuelling with actual food his answer was this.
    "SIS state to take a gel every 20-30 mins.I take one every 25mins.I think SIS know a bit more about nutrition than people on a bike forum"
    The underlined bit is my point.Yes SIS state this,of course they do they want you to buy their products!This fella obviously took it to the extreme as he was consuming 13 gels but it does highlight how much some people believe what the manufacturers claim
    Personally I think it's all bollocks for Joe average.I've tried SIS Recovery and felt no better/worse than I did from just eating a banana or drinking a glass of water.For me I think it's a placebo effect.

In my MTBing days we used to recover with a couple of pints of Bitter and a Chip Butty.....now that does work

@Carla,sorry about the Peanut story but where that particular bloke is concerned that one of the tamer stories regarding his "movements"!
    Last edited by ibbo68; 5 Days Ago at 1:16 PM.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    The only disadvantage of having Protien bars after a ride for me is the Wind factor. I seem to fart more after having them, just like a tin of beans.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    The only disadvantage of having Protien bars after a ride for me is the Wind factor. I seem to fart more after having them, just like a tin of beans.
    Please note that protein bars are not necessarily the same as recovery bars/food. Cyclists are not body builders. We do not need so much proteins. Proteins are important but carbs are equally, if not more, crucial as proteins as post ride nutrition (to replenish the glycogen levels)

“In terms of specific quantities, after a hard, depleting and damaging ride a rider should aim to have about 1g of carbohydrate per kilogram of body weight and a 20-30g portion of protein,” says Nigel Mitchell. “A 70kg (11st) rider would require 70g of carbohydrate and 30g of protein.”

https://road.cc/content/feature/2392...-after-cycling

https://www.bicycling.com/health-nut...much-you-ride/
    Last edited by portia; 5 Days Ago at 2:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    ďIn terms of specific quantities, after a hard, depleting and damaging ride a rider should aim to have about 1g of carbohydrate per kilogram of body weight and a 20-30g portion of protein,Ē says Nigel Mitchell. ďA 70kg (11st) rider would require 70g of carbohydrate and 30g of protein.Ē
    That's why two pints and a chip butty works for me then!

"If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    POTUS' favourite TV show and network.

Says it all...

Although, apparently Trump himself is a germophobe.